Black Forest Cake Recipe
Today I received an email for a reader requesting a Black Forest Cake recipe.
Black Forest Cake Recipe:
Jar of marashino cherries (not the ones in liquid, but a sweet gel type base), when the grocery store doesn’t have it I have used cherry pie filling in the past
½ cup butter, softened
1+¼ cup sugar
1+¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, natural
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9″ cake pan with either non stick paper or spray with non stick spray.
- With an electric mixer, beat the softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, mix well between each egg.
- Add sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and buttermilk, and mix. * NOTE I never have butter milk so I usually put 1 tbsp of vinegar in one cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees just until set in the middle, approximately 45-60 minutes. A wooden pick inserted in center should come out with just a few moist crumbs on it. Do not over-bake!
- When cake is cool, use a long serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal layers. It is easier to cut if kept in a refrigerator for a few hours before cutting.
- 1-2 cups of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
Whip cream on medium-high until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whip more.
In between each layer of cake sprinkle (or if you’re like me, pour) some Kahlua, how much is up to you. Let it soak in.
Add the cherries and top with some of the whipped cream.
Add the top cake layer and use the rest of the whipped cream.
Garnish with chocolate shavings. Around the circumference of the cake pipe any left over whip cream and top with cherries.
Looking for more great ideas? Click here to follow me on Pinterest!
Visit Randa | The Bewitchin’ Kitchen’s profile on Pinterest.
FREE Recipe Binder
Are you constantly wondering what's for dinner?
When I don't meal plan I feel behind, and we usually end up ordering take out. This recipe binder will keep you organized and make life a little bit easier.