Southwestern Chicken and Rice Casserole
This cheesy casserole bake has rice, black beans, and chicken. It's easy to make as a vegetarian recipe too! An easy dinner that makes delicious leftovers.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 12 servings
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 1 small can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Cayenne Pepper to taste If I don't have any on me, I use 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese optional
Preheat oven to 350°
In a large bowl, add the cooked rice, chicken, corn, black beans, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, and ground cayenne pepper. Set the bowl aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until it's blended and cook until it begins to bubble. Slowly stir in the milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Let it simmer (while whisking constantly) until it thickens up.
Pour into the rice mixture. **If you are using Franks Red Hot Sauce instead of cayenne, this is where I add it.
Pour into a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish, bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Add cheese and bake for another 8 minutes or until melted.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 24.8g | Protein: 13.4g | Fat: 9.3g | Saturated Fat: 4.8g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 550.8mg | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 3.2g