BBQ Tex Mex Chicken Breasts
Try this recipe at your next BBQ! Barbecued Tex Mex Chicken, a healthy bbq recipe that is full of flavor! I love the southern flavors of chili, cumin and the twist with brown sugar. Serve with a tostada topped with lettuce, cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, and salsa. PS – it’s 21 Day Fix approved!
Have I mentioned how much I love being a brand ambassador for Chicken Farmers of Canada? It’s because of this partnership that I get motivated to create and share delicious recipes like these BBQ Tex Mex Chicken Breats.
I can’t believe that May is almost here (say what? Half of 2016 is gone already, how did that happen?). On our side of the country (BC), we haven’t had snow for a while now and I’ve been grilling for a few weeks. Come summer, 100% of our cooking will be on the BBQ. We use our grill a lot and I’m so excited to share the first BBQ recipe of the year!
PSST – if you’re new to BBQing chicken or, if you’re like me and tend to overcook your chicken on the grill for “good measure”, I have a little cheat sheet for you! Here’s where you can get schooled on cooking times for chicken.
I also wanted to remind you guys of the Shopping App that Canadian Chicken offers, and it’s totally free! It makes meal planning and grocery shopping easy, plus you can sync lists with your partner to lighten your load!
This tex mex chicken rub was a hit! Next time, I’ll make a big batch and store it for next time.
This recipe is from Chicken.ca and can be found on their recipes page under Grilled Tex Mex Chicken. I left out a few minor details, but if you want the full recipe, check out Chicken’s website. There are so many delicious recipes that will be please all your summertime guests.
Tex Mex Chicken Breasts:
Warning: marinate this recipe for Tex Mex Chicken at least ONE HOUR before you cook it. I put that in bold because I tend to not read recipes fully and when it comes time to cook, I realize I never saw the “refrigerate overnight” part. Surely I cannot be the only on. PS – the longer it sits, the better.
21 Day Fix Chicken Recipe
Oh and guys? This recipe is 21 Day Fix approved, you’re welcome. I know a lot of “fixers” visit The Bewitchin’ Kitchen and I want you all to know that I have your back. Even served with the tostada side salad, you’re good. If you eat it with the tostada salad you’re looking at:
- 1 red
- 1 blue
- 1 green
- 1 yellow
- 1/2 purple (if you love salsa as much as I do)
Healthy grilled chicken recipes
Grilled Tex Mex Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one squeezed lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsps onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red hot chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
For the Tostada Salad
- 4 tostadas
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 4 tbsps plain 0% greek yogurt
- 1 cup light cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 salsa
- Cilantro for garnish
- Toss your chicken breasts into a resealable bag and add the olive oil and lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the seasonings and add to the chicken.
- Coat and rub over the chicken to ensure that it's fully covered. Marinade for at least 1 hour (overnight is best).
- Pre heat your grill and reduce temperature to medium, add the chicken and grill for 8 minutes each side. Every body's grill is different, my thermometer read 500 degrees. When in doubt, use a meat thermometer
- Serve with tostadas, shredded lettuce, 1 tbsp greek yogurt, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and 2-4 tbsps of salsa.
If you REALLY like this recipe, then go ahead and hit the Pin It button when you hover over any image (I even made an awesome Pinterest image at the bottom of this page).
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.