Bret Johnson’s Famous Turkey Chili Recipe
It’s fall here on the North Coast (however; with the light dusting of snow this morning it’s starting to look a lot like winter) and for me that means comfort foods. I’m talking warm, heart meals that speak to your heart. The problem with those meals is that it also goes straight to your waist line. Bret Johnson’s Turkey Chili recipe takes care of that with giving you the comfort food you crave, but at under 300 calories a cup – you won’t blow your nutrition for the day.
This is my favorite chili recipe. I make it at least twice a month and it varies a little every time I make it. Chalene Johnson’s Yummy Monday video is usually the guidelines I follow (except I leave out the green chilies since I never have any on hand). Sometimes I add more beans/corn/etc. It all depends on what I have on hand – that’s the beauty thing about chili! You can’t really mess it up. I usually make a small batch, but if you double the recipe below you can add it to baked potatoes, eggs, veggies, etc. Don’t be afraid of using turkey instead of ground beef! Before this recipe I always used this chili recipe and I much prefer the turkey one (it’s a healthier too).
Bret Johnson’s Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 package of your favorite chili seasoning (or make your own)
- 1 cup corn (if you use canned, make sure it's drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chili beans (pinto)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1.5 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- Scramble fry your turkey in medium heat, drain the fat.
- Add all of the ingredients, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer for at least 25-30 minutes. The longer you leave it, the better it is.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (every pack of chili seasoning is different, sometimes I have to use a whole one).
- Top with cheese if desired.
Do you have a favorite winter comfort food? What is it?
FREE Recipe Binder
Are you constantly wondering what's for dinner?
When I don't meal plan I feel behind, and we usually end up ordering take out. This recipe binder will keep you organized and make life a little bit easier.