Healthy Toddler Muffins
I’m fairly cautious when it comes to what I feed Carter. I have been trying my best to stay away from chemical laden and empty caloric snacks and to feed him whole, nutritious foods. I never thought that it would actually be a challenge. I’m having a problem with food in general when it comes to my son. He will either refuse to eat it or only have a tiny amount and not be full. It’s frustrating. When it comes to snacks: he won’t let you feed him. He only wants to feed himself – but he can’t live off of cheese and toddler snacks forever (I hate giving him those toddler snacks). I was inspired one day when I came across a muffin idea using jarred baby food from my mom. I never thought about baking with baby food. The particular recipe was loaded with butter, sugar and a lot of junk so today. Here is the recipe for Healthy Toddler Muffins.
This recipe isn’t 100% clean, it does have some processed ingredients (brown sugar and the butter flavored cooking spray I used) but I’m okay with that. This is a lot better then the pre-packaged foods I can buy at the grocery store. As for the results – these muffins are amazing. Within minutes of having them in the oven my home was filling with the aroma of home baked goodness (the pumpkin pie spice was a brilliant addition). I was really concerned about the squash, but you don’t even notice it when you taste it. Carter loved them and ate three right away, I did something right.
This is a fairly basic recipe and the addition of apples, pecans, quinoa or whatever other ingredients and flavors will only enhance it. I plan on trying all three next time around and I encourage all of you to try it as well. If you have, please come back and leave me a comment of what you added.
Healthy Toddler Muffins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 handful of baby carrots grated
- 1 jar organic butternut squash baby food
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran flakes
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F and spray mini muffin tins with non stick cooking spray (I used butter flavor).
- Beat the brown sugar and apple sauce in your mixer until mixed well.
- Add carrots to food processor (I used a Ninja blender) and pulse until they're grated. Add to mixer along with bananas and the jar of baby food. Mix until well combined.
- One at a time add eggs, allowing time for the first egg to be incorporated before adding the second.
- At this point you can add the dry ingredients and beat until it comes together.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do. Don’t forget to Pin It!
*I have asked where the base of this recipe has come from, and the original recipe is from All Recipes I have added applesauce, fruit and I tend to vary my flours. Like with everything, it’s a little different each time I bake it 😉