Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
If you’re looking for an easy dinner recipe you need to try this Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Lentil soup recipe. This soup/stew is healthy, vegetarian (easy to make vegan), and so creamy! If you want to use the stove top or Instant Pot, it’s easy to adjust the cook times. It ticks all the boxes for a healthy dinner that the whole family will love.
Curry Lentil Soup
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had to describe this meal in three words those three words would be creamy, bright, and filling.
I have been on a lime kick for the past few months. I like to add it to most of my recipes, I find that one lime adds so much flavor without my fallback of adding hot sauce (sriracha would be so amazing in this).
Apparently, six-year-old kids don’t like spicy food😹
Are Lentils Healthy?
There has been a lot of fuss over the new Canada’s Food Guide since it was released last week.
It’s been recommended that we eat more plant-based protein, lentils are fantastic plant-based protein! They’re also budget-friendly, which is fantastic.
1 cup of lentils offers 18 grams of protein and 16 grams of fiber! That is huge!
This curry lentil soup recipe is a good example that healthy doesn’t mean boring.
TBK’s Pro Tip: Try swapping one protein a week with a plant based protein. Think meatless Mondays.
I’m not going to get into the food guide in this blog post but I will say that I love that the Government of Canada is focusing on health is more than just what you eat.
They are stating that you should: be mindful of your eating habits, cook more often and enjoy your foods, eat meals with others, read food labels, limit processed foods, and be aware of marketing (I couldn’t agree with the marketing more).
21 Day Fix Container Counts
By popular demand, I am now offering the container counts for the Ultimate Portion Fix. I’ll be slowly updating all my recipes so you can use my recipes for Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix, 80 Day Obsession, Liift4, and more.
Here are the counts for this creamy scallops recipe:
Full recipe count: 3 green, 4 yellow, 5 blue, 3 tsps.
Per serving: 3/4 green, 1 yellow, 1 1/4 blue, 3/4 tsps.
How to Cook Lentil Soup In an Instant Pot
This recipe can be swapped from the slow cooker to the stove top, to the Instant Pot (if you don’t have one you can grab one here).
I have the instructions in the recipe below, but simply add all the ingredients to the electric pressure cooker, seal, and do a manual pressure for 15 minutes.
Do a quick release, but if you find it sputtering, let it release naturally.
CrockPot Coconut Curry Lentil Stew
After my cat peed in my last CrockPot (yes, that seriously happened) I went without for months and it was hard.
I took the ease of slow cooking for granted and was thrilled when I unwrapped this CrockPot for Christmas this year.
It’s only been a month but I’ve made countless soups, bone broth (I love doing it in the slow cooker), a failed chicken dish, and this coconut curry lentil soup.
The ease of using a slow cooker with recipes like this is that all you have to do is add the ingredients, turn it on, and walk away.
That’s all I did for this curried lentil soup.
Curry dinner recipes on The Bewitchin’ Kitchen
- Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs (with Video)
- Curry Quinoa with Kale and Roasted Cauliflower
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
TBK’s Pro Tip: If you’re looking for a little kick, try it with Sriracha. Add 1 tsp and increase to the desired kick.
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth vegetable broth if vegetarian
- 1 14oz can coconut milk full fat
- 1 cup red lentils dried
- 1 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes diced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the avocado oil in a medium sized pot, over medium heat.
- Add the onion and stir until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, and curry. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and stir it around so it coats the curry mixture. Then add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, broth, lime juice, and coconut milk. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes. Stir it often as the lentils could stick to the bottom.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Garnish with the remaining cilantro, if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot, seal, and do a manual pressure for 15 minutes.Do a quick release, but if you find it sputtering, let it release naturally.