Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast – A Holiday Tradition
Every since I was a little girl, Christmas morning meant two things: 1. Santa had come and gone and 2. I was about to gorge myself with Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast.
I’m 1/4 Ukrainian, but I’m not into the traditional Ukrainian foods: I like perogies, but you won’t find me in the same room as cabbage rolls or anything that has fish. So with that being said, my version of Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast is not the typical version that you find when you Google that said phrase. I guess you can say that it’s been “westernized”, but it’s still really good Ukrainian food to me.
A Simple Ukrainian Christmas Dish
Ukrainian Christmas food is is dear to my heart. It is fast and furious to make in that many of the pieces are all cooking at once. Be prepared with multiple pans and a lot of coffee!
Why you are going to love it
- Quick to make on Christmas morning
- All the savory goodness your family craves with hearty sausage, eggs, and traditional perogies
- When paired with a mimosa it is truly amazing
My favorite part of the breakfast would be the eggs. I have made this multiple times without the perogies and sausage because the eggs are perfect. Eggs alone are beautiful with the creamy yolks but when you poach them in cream: magic happens. Trust me.
Pro Tips For An Amazing Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast:
Cream: I usually buy a 1L carton of cream and that lasts me the whole recipe. I don’t ever measure it out, I just pour and make sure I have enough for each dish.
Managing the chaos: The instructions need to happen quickly for everything to be just hot and right. Start the eggs when the sausage and perogies are just about complete. The eggs will take just a couple of minutes to be just right.
Perogies or Pierogies: These are a Ukrainian food staple and can be any variety you choose. Store-bought, frozen, or make your own. If I am ambitious I make my own, but store-bought can be just as good with less work on a Christmas morning! Either spelling is also acceptable…but Pierogies is is the most accurate 🙂
Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast
For the sausage:
- 1 ring of Ukrainian sausage depending on how many mouths you're feeding
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
For the eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Sprinkle of pepper
For the perogies:
- 1 dozen pierogies fresh is best but store bought frozen will work
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 package of bacon chopped
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1/2 cup of cream or whatever is left
- You will be cooking all of this at the same time, so put your multi-tasking hat on. A word of advice: do the eggs when the sausage and perogies are close to done. You will need to watch the eggs so the cream doesn't boil over (it makes a huge mess if it does).
For the sausage
- Slice up the sausage and toss in a pan over medium heat. Brown on each side.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cream. Let simmer for a few minutes. The cream will thicken slightly.
For the pierogies
- Fry up the pierogies in the butter, bacon and onion. Once the onion has turned translucent, turn the heat to low, add the cream and let simmer. for a couple of minutes.
For the eggs
- Pour the cream in a deep pan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Crack the eggs in, add pepper and simmer until they're done to your liking. Keep your eyes on the pan, as the cream makes a huge mess if it boils over.
Note: In Ukraine pierogies are known as varenyk, but I still grew up with the term “perogy” (which is also known as pierogi or perogi as there are many different spellings).
oh I am getting hungry just thinking of this. I have not had perogies in ages. Looks like a perfect “breakfast for dinner” option too
Oh wow I love this! This sounds so incredibly soul-warming.
It’s comfort to the core Erica!
Well that looks ridiculously delicious. i never would’ve thought of cooking those things with cream- I’ll have to try that sometime!
Yummy! Talk about breakfast goodness! I’ve never had a Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast, but boy after seeing those eggs… I want to!!! YUMMY!
Eggs poached in cream? Sausage? Perogies? YES, please. NOW!
Now I am starving. FREAKING STARVING. I love perogies.
My momma just made me two dozen and she’s bringing them by tomorrow when she rolls through town. YAY!
Eggs poached in cream?! I’m willing to give that a go! I love sausage and pierogis too, so I would be happy to have this for Christmas breakfast!
Do it! I promise you will not be disappointed!
Interesting combination. Sounds like a great tradition for your family. Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomemattersParty link party.
I think I am going to try this for an upcoming breakfast. I’ve never actually heard of poaching eggs in cream. Sheer decadence.
why kind of pirogies did you make, my Mother was polish and she always made sauerkraut or farmers cheese, she taught me but mine aren’t as good as hers!
We just do cheddar and potato! So yummy!
Oh my goodness, eggs poached in cream sounds absolutely heavenly, I definitely have to try them, thx!