One Pot Perogie Casserole Bake
Fun fact: I’m 1/4 Ukranian and so pierogies (or perogies, however, you spell them) are in my blood. This One Pot Perogie Casserole Bake tastes (and smells) amazing. They’re basically the food equivalent to a hug.
This is the ultimate comfort food, but please keep in mind that this is not the meal you eat the day before you put on your skinny jeans. So ladies, put those bad boys away (the jeans, not the dish – because this is the ultimate cheat meal).
For the Holiday Entertaining Guide, we decided to do an easy, one pot meal idea because we know that the holidays can get hectic and it’s nice to have an easy (and comforting) meal to fall back on.
When it comes to comfort, I think of Christmas morning and the Ukrainian Christmas Breakfast my family and I have traditionally shared since I was a baby. Now this is how I’ll prepare everything for that breakfast (minus the eggs) because it was so much easier than watching a few pans.
Cream. Butter. Bacon. Cheese. Sausage. Perogies.
Seriously, is there anything better than that?
When the onions, bacon, and garlic sausage hit the melted butter in the hot skillet – your home smells so darn good. This is the smell I grew up with.
I used frozen perogies, but if you have homemade – more power to you! Fun fact: my mom makes and sells perogies in my home town and I have never even made an attempt to make them yet. One day, and when that day comes you know darn well I’ll share the recipe with you all.
During this part of the recipe (when the perogies are added), it’s not uncommon for the perogies to stick to the bottom of the pan a bit. If that happens, just add some more butter. It’s okay, you can have a salad tomorrow.
I didn’t measure the amount of shredded marble cheese I used, but I’m guessing at least two cups. I tried for one, but I could tell it just wasn’t enough. You’re welcome!
Perogie Casserole Bake
If there is one dish that will make me famous, this is it. I hope you all enjoy and you guys…it’s THAT good.
One Pot Perogie Casserole Bake
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 18 frozen pierogies
- 1/3 ring garlic sausage, sliced and then quartered
- 3/4 cup whole cream
- 2 cups shredded marble cheese
- In a large skillet/chefs pan over medium heat add the chopped onion, diced bacon, sausage and half the butter. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add the rest of the butter and the frozen perogies. Saute for 5 -8 minutes, stirring around frequently until the perogies are no longer frozen.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cream and turn the heat to medium-low. When the cream looks like it's thickening, add the rest, stir and top with the cheese.
- Put it in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Top with parsley and extra cooked sausage to garnish.
Check out what my friends did for their one pot or one skillet meals:
One Pot Balsamic Chicken via Sober Julie
One Pot Jambalaya via This Lil Piglet
FREE Recipe Binder
Are you constantly wondering what's for dinner?
When I don't meal plan I feel behind, and we usually end up ordering take out. This recipe binder will keep you organized and make life a little bit easier.