5 Easy Ways to Add Protein to Your Diet
I’ve been watching what I eat and making protein a priority to my lifestyle. So with that being said, I wanted to share with you some tips, here are 5 easy ways to add protein to your diet.
Easy Ways to Add Protein to Your Diet
1. Eat Protein at Every Meal – Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Protein should be a part of all of them. Not a fan of eggs? Add protein powder to your oatmeal or cereal (it’s really good). In addition to your chicken or steak in your stir fry, you could add some extra nuts for an additional boost. One of my favorite breakfasts that doubles as an on-the-go snack are these chicken breakfast muffins.
2. Meal Plan – It’s easy for us to say that we’re going to eat healthy or bump up our protein, but without a plan, they’re just words. When you set a meal plan, and write a grocery list you’ll not only have what meal you’ll cook but you’ll also have all the groceries in your possession. At the bottom of this post is a free recipe binder download that includes a meal planning worksheet, along with a grocery list printable. You can also check out how to meal plan with Pinterest.
[clickToTweet tweet=”5 ways ways to add protein to your diet #PremierProtein” quote=”5 ways ways to add protein to your diet”]
3. Meal Prep – With meal planning comes meal prep. My favorite meal prep tip is to cook up a bunch of protein sources at the beginning of the week, think a dozen hard boiled eggs, 6-7 chicken breasts, this makes lunches and dinners easy. With pre-cooked chicken, you could make salads in a flash and healthy stir-fries (eg: Sweet Sriracha Stir Fry) in less than 10 minutes. Be sure to read my meal prep tips for busy families.
4. Make Swaps – Instead of unhealthy sandwich spreads, try hummus. Try plain greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt (another tip is to swap greek yogurt for sour cream in dips and dressings).
5. Supplement – If it wasn’t for supplementation, I wouldn’t get all my protein in. I supplement because:
- It’s easy.
- It’s cost effective (it’s much more affordable to pick up protein powder and bars than get the same allowance of protein in the form of chicken breasts).
- It adds variety. Protein supplements come in various flavors.
Protein bars: I’ve been a big fan of protein bars for years. Not only are they easy, but they taste amazing. Instead of filling my face with chocolate cake or malted chocolate balls (my weakness), I find that I’m more than satisfied with a protein packed bar. I’m loving Premier Protein’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar, it satisfies my sweet tooth and provides me with 30g of protein to keep me full.
Another awesome feature about protein bars? They’re always available. I like to toss a few in my purse and my truck so if I’m stuck in a situation where there’s no food (or food that’s not suitable in the situation). That way there is always an option before my hunger gets the best of me.
Shakes: Protein shakes have come a long way since I first started to drink them. I really like Premier Protein’s shakes because I find they don’t taste chalky and offer up more protein per serving than my previous brand. It’s also super convenient that I can grab them at Costco already pre-mixed (I’ve mentioned a few times that I basically live at Costco, haven’t I?).
Premier Protein’s on the go protein shakes are great to bring to the park or on road trips to make healthier choices getting to your destination. That fact that they’re pre-mixed means no shaker cups to wash! Not to forget to mention that you can make delicious desserts like this two-ingredient protein pudding (click the image for the recipe).
Premier Protein is at Costco stores throughout Canada.
How do you add more protein to your diet? Share with me your tips in the comments.
Disclosure: this conversation on easy ways to add protein to your diet has been sponsored by Premier Protein. As always, all opinions are my own.
FREE Recipe Binder
Are you constantly wondering what's for dinner?
When I don't meal plan I feel behind, and we usually end up ordering take out. This recipe binder will keep you organized and make life a little bit easier.