Chicken and Rice Bake..With a Southwestern Flare.
Southwestern Chicken and Rice back is such an easy meal to put together. I like to make this dinner pretty plain (since my hubby can be really picky). I think black beans would work well with this recipe and you would probably be able to omit the tomato sauce with a can of diced tomatoes. We make this dinner often and it never disappoints.
Southwestern Chicken and Rice Bake
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can Mexican-style corn, drained (I never have this on me-I use normal corn)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves (Once again, something I never have on me, but it was good with!)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (I like mine strong so sometimes I even add more!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red or chipotle pepper, to taste
- Cayenne Pepper to taste (If I don’t have any on me, I normally just use some Franks Red Hot Sauce).
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup Cheddar, optional
In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, chicken, corn, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, and hot pepper. Stir to blend.
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in flour until well blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir into the rice and chicken mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Pour into a casserole sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly. If desired, sprinkle with the cheese about 5 to 8 minutes before done